We ask that students respect the following guidelines for writing consultations:
- Writing consultations will focus on higher-order writing concerns, such as focus, audience, organization, and development. We are happy to assist at any stage, from brainstorming to the final draft.
- Writing consultants will not copyedit or correct students' writing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. We can provide a list of editors for hire upon request.
- Students should come prepared to the appointment with specific questions regarding their writing.
- Appointments are scheduled for 50 minutes; we expect that students will arrive promptly. If students are more than 10 minutes late, the appointment will be canceled and opened up for drop-in hours. Students working on group projects or papers are encouraged to schedule an appointment together as a group, so that all group members may benefit from the experience.
- Students may schedule one consultation appointment per week, one week at a time. Additional appointments may be scheduled only after the current one has been completed.
- Students should bring to the appointment two paper copies of the assignment and a copy of the assignment instructions so that the writing consultant can be of adequate assistance. Students are also encouraged to email the digital file of their assignment to their writing consultant at least 24 hours before their scheduled appointment.
- Students are strongly encouraged to schedule their next appointment in advance. Students will be prompted to create an account via Appointment Plus (separate from their Cal State LA login), which can be used throughout the Cal State LA campus.
- Students must cancel appointments 24 hours in advance, either via Appointment Plus or by phone. Failure to show up for an appointment or provide 24 hours notice of cancellation will result in the student having to wait one week before scheduling another appointment.
Powered by Appointment-Plus
For more information, call (323) 343–3820.