Multiple accommodation options are available to students during their time at Cal State LA. Options include homestays, extended-stay hotels, off-campus apartments, and on-campus housing. See below for resources designed to help you find the most appropriate accommodations for your time abroad in Los Angeles.
On Campus Housing Costs
For information about living on campus, visit the Housing and Residence Life website. Space is limited, so we recommend applying as early as possible!
Extended Stay Hotels offer comfortable accommodations with amenities that are similar to that of an apartment such as fully equipped kitchens or kitchenettes, refrigerators in addition to other onsite amenities. Daily and weekly rates are usually available.
Freehand Los Angeles
The English Language Program at Cal State LA has partnered with Freehand Los Angeles to offer a special accommodation rate for students in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles and within easy public transit access of Cal State LA's campus. Freehand features include:
- Shared guest rooms with free Wifi and daily housekeeping
- 24 hour access to on-site fitness center, guest kitchen and coin-operated laundry facilities
- 24 hour reception and security
- Rooftop pool and bar, full service restaurant, and cafe
- Breakfast options available
|Quad Room (4 beds with ensuite bathroom)||$40/bed|
*Costs are exclusive of occupanncy tax, currently 15.7%
- Website: https://freehandhotels.com/los-angeles Address: 416 W. 8th Street Los Angeles, California 90014 USA
- Telephone: +1 213-612-0021
Additional Extended Stay Options:
- Extended Stay America, Los Angeles – Arcadia. Website: www.extendedstayamerica.com. Address: 401 East Santa Clara Street Arcadia, California 91006 USA. Telephone: +1 626 446 6422. Fax: +1 626 446 6533. Email: email@example.com
- Residence Inn Pasadena Arcadia (by Marriott Hotels) www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bwrar-residence-inn-pasadena-arcadia. Address: 321 East Huntington Drive Arcadia, California 91006 USA. Telephone: +1 626 446 6500. Fax: +1 626 446 5824
Homestay (Host Family)
If you are interested in a homestay (Host Family), you will want to consider living in the following areas of Los Angeles: El Sereno, Alhambra, South Pasadena, Pasadena, San Gabriel, Arcadia, or Monterey Park. These areas are close to campus and public transportation options that serve the Cal State LA Campus. Homestay options include:
American Homestay Network:
Contact Ms. Victoria Nettles by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at +1 888 268 1903. Alternatively, you may visit their website at www.homestaynetwork.com and follow instructions to apply online.
Homestay Services International:
Contact Mr. Jae Hopkins, Director by e-mail at email@example.com, by telephone at +1 619 461 4764, or by fax at +1 619 670 3397. Alternatively, you may visit their website at www.homestayservices.com, download the application or apply online.
Contact StudentLink by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to their website at www.istudentlink.com/CSULA.html and follow instructions to apply online. When completing the application, be sure to choose “Cal State LA” for “College You'll Attend.”
Universal Student Housing (USH):
For Universal Student Housing, visit www.ushstudent.com/homestay-csu-la-american-culture-language to learn about pricing. You may also apply online by selecting “Apply” from the top menu of their homepage at www.ushstudent.com. Be sure to select “Homestay”, and choose “California State University, Los Angeles” under “School.” when completing your application. If you have difficulties with the application form, you may send inquiries to email@example.com.
AAhomestays provides listings for host families looking for international students. Working as an additional resource to traditional, full-service homestay companies, AAhomestays provides a solution to accommodate students who cannot be placed with another company or who are looking for a more independent, choice-based solution. The platform provides detailed listings of properties, profiles of host families, transparency, security and dedicated transaction processing allowing students to pay rent directly through the secure service. The company serves as a supplemental resource to existing homestays, ensuring that no student is without a host. Begin your journey by registering on the platform and view listings instantly: www.aahomestays.com.
- Most apartments in the areas surrounding Cal State LA are not advertised on the Internet. Students can find apartments available for rent by looking in local papers or driving around the area and replying to signs in front of houses or apartment buildings searching for renters.
- You can visit the below websites and search for available apartments in the cities of Alhambra, South Pasadena, Pasadena, San Gabriel, Arcadia, or Monterey Park. If you find an apartment you like, inform them that you are an international student and cannot get a Social Security Number. Ask them if you can make special payment arrangements without a “credit check”.
Transportation from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) cannot be arranged by the ELP, but can often be arranged through one of the Homestay providers listed above should you choose to live with a Host Family. Otherwise, we suggest you contact the following transportation options for airport transportation: